Millennials Who Succeed Do This Everyday (How I Became A Full Time Writer)
People think there is a huge gap between who they want to be and who they are.
The truth is the gap is imaginary and you can be the person you want to be, today.
As a remote worker, my friends, family and strangers are always shocked that I don’t work from my bed in my pajamas.
Instead, I work from cafes and dress in nice clothes. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wear slacks and a button down shirt. But I do wear clothes that I’d be proud to represent myself as a writer in.
When I try to work from home in my pajamas, I don’t write three articles before 11am. I struggle to work past any creative blocks and I don’t feel like a badass self employed woman on a mission.
When I work from a cafe, dressed nicely, I step into the person I aspire to be.
To be the part, you have to dress the part.
If you want to be a successful CEO, what do you feel that a successful CEO should wear? In 2018, this could be a full suit or pant suit or it could be gym shorts and a classic white tee. You decide the CEO you want to be, and then you start dressing just as that CEO would dress.
When I envision a successful writer and business woman, I see her wearing a mixture of formal clothes mixed with current trends and a touch of comfort. As a writer and the founder of My Writing Library, I make it a point to dress the part.
Wearing the right clothes for the job is just the start.
What does a successful writer and business woman’s day look like?
- I wake up at 6:45am, drink a juice and fruit for breakfast and work until about 12pm
- Then I take a break and eat a salad or sandwich for lunch
- I work for 1–3 more hours and then go to yoga
- I eat dinner, answer any emails or messages that I need and set myself up to be able to start my day at maximum productivity
You can choose to do things that will make you confident, or choose not to do them and continue to feel unconfident.
- It’s a choice to dress nicely over wearing my pajamas all day
- It’s a choice to wake up at 6:45am and start my day
- It’s a choice to eat a healthy, nourishing breakfast versus an egg sandwich
- It’s a choice to walk away for an hour so I can keep a clear head for longer during my work day
- It’s a choice keep working
- It’s a choice to work out so I can stay active and fit
- It’s a choice to keep answering emails so I can be successful the next day
It’s all a choice, down to the t-shirt you pull over your head in the morning.
If you make the choices of the person you aspire to be, you become that person.
In the past few months, I’ve gone from struggling writer to full time writer. I’ve amassed over 600,000 views on my personal writing and am closing in my goal of 1,000,000 views. I’ve ghostwritten articles for well known companies in my industry and innovative leaders. I’ve figured out a massive pain point for content writers and am building a website to solve it.
And it all started by envisioning who I wanted to be, acting the part and watching it all become reality.